Sunday, March 30, 2008

"Shepherding a Child's Heart" by Ted Tripp

If you haven't read this book and you are a parent, it is rich in wisdom! I'm only about 5 chapters into it and already so inspired, encouraged, and yet convicted by the godly parenting ideas put forth. Here's a snippet from Chapter 4 that I felt very convicted by, as I know I'm guilty of this and fully desire to change...

"Parents in our culture often improvise because they do not understand the biblical mandate to shepherd children. Parenting goals are often no more noble than immediate comfort and convenience. When parents require obedience because they feel under pressure, obedience of children is reduced to parental convenience. Christian parents must clearly understand the nature of godly parenting and children must be trained that God calls them to obey always."

It is a parenting book endorsed by many whom I admire and highly respect - both in the professional realm and on the home fronts where friends have used this book and put the principles into practice with beautiful results. I'm not naive enough to think reading one book will change me forever, but I do hope and pray I can become a better parent by using principles like the ones laid out in this book, and above all, trusting God to renew and transform my mind as I strive to shepherd my children's' hearts.

Stay tuned for pics from a great weekend with my sister's family in town! :)

No comments: