Monday, April 18, 2011
Life at Home
So we're officially a week into getting settled here. A friend asked me the other day if it still feels a bit like we're on vacation. Kind of. Yes, in the sense that the day-to-day (or weekly) routine norms back in Spokane have not been established yet down here. Instead, each day so far has been somewhat sporadic with plans/goals made loosely. It feels like a vacation with how awe-struck we are at the beauty all around. But I think more than anything, it feels like a refreshing new beginning. We're enjoying life, and the pace & stress that surrounded us before, is different here. In a good way, I think. We've met some of our new neighbors and everyone has been super friendly. I think the community around here at large are probably church-going for the majority, and many have made us feel welcome with warm smiles and hellos even as strangers in the checkout line at the grocery store. The small town we actually live in, is north of Roseburg. There is one grocery store. One main street. One redbox for everyone to share. If there's a movie you want to rent for say, a Friday night family movie night, well... you can look for it on redbox to reserve it online but you might be checking daily for a week straight before it becomes available again at the local machine as it's frequented quite often by the locals. Or, you might get lucky and find it in Roseburg after the 3rd or 4th day instead. (they have a couple machines in town) We tried a new church (new to us) today in Roseburg. It felt good to be with the Body at large, worshipping God. We'll keep praying God leads us where He'd have us get invested. It might be there, might be somewhere even here in Sutherlin. The weekend felt amazing... like an actual weekend!! We did get to enjoy a family movie night on Friday with homemade pizza on the grill, comfy jammies & snuggling with the kids - and Ken & I sharing some knowing glances of simply loving this time together as a family. Saturday it poured here. Like, monsoon style. It was a perfect day to load the kids up in the car and check out Eugene. (less than an hour's drive North) It was fun to visit places like Trader Joes and Mucho Gusto (a new favorite Mexican restaurant we might be obsessed with), and just immerse ourselves amidst the city a'buzz with U of O spirit, great shops and university students drowning themselves in coffee houses while they study. I love that atmosphere and how it takes me back to my college days like they were yesterday. Tonight, Ken & I even started reading a book together that he got for his birthday; "Organized Simplicity" by Tsh Oxenreider. Some of you already have heard great things about this & can I just echo those praises?! We are loving it & can't wait to keep diving into it. The kids are FINALLY** healthy. I think I said that in my last post -but Mags actually had to have some blood tests done at the hospital earlier this week to rule out some potential reasons for why she's been having such a hard time fighting colds these past 2 months & been extra tired among other things. HUGE, huge praises - she's gonna be fine, and we met some wonderful nurses and docs in the process. Her CBC's looked normal & she just had a bad viral bug. Her energy is coming back & her coloring looks much better too. I think everyone in our fam is over their ear infections/flus/colds/transition crud that seemed to drag for a bit. There is so much to be thankful for. (I know this is true at any time!)... but can I just be honest?, it feels like there is so much more I'm thankful for right now. Maybe it's a state of my heart. Maybe it's the actual change of moving and starting new in a way. Maybe it's Ken's job and how that has brought such a positive change in itself. I just don't understand how God works... I don't deserve any of this, any of His amazing blessings, and yet I'm utterly overwhelmed with gratitude that He is in this - all of this... while we enjoy this time here for the gift it is...even if it's hard at times.
Playing with Loges here at home
This is a new favorite of these two together
Happy little Logan is 10.5months old - and as you can see, has some cute teeth coming through! 4 total so far. :)
The kids love to help me bake banana muffins. Jack is an excellent stir-er (how do you say it?) :), and Mags loves to help with the muffin tins, too.
Tonight was one of Ken's favorite conversations with Jack; after tucking the kids into their beds, Jack called Ken back into his room to ask, "Daddy, what do you do for work?" Ken explained. "I wish I could be big and go to work!" Ken assured him there was no reason to hurry. ;) The conversation quickly turned into this mega sweet chat about the dreams Jack has for what he'd love to do when he gets big. Astronaut, pilot, firefighter, farmer, husband, daddy, teacher, missionary, explorer, writer, builder, construction worker, ... his eyes were wide with possibilities and you could almost feel his heart bursting with enthusiasm. Dream big, my sweet boy, dream big... we love you, Jack, and know God has amazing plans for you (and your brother & sister, too) - we can't wait to see where He leads you in life!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)










2 comments:
love reading about your new beginning! your attitude and heart is so refreshing! the kids look darling and i am so excited for you to have dinners/nighs/and weekend together! and we come to oregon at least 3x a year we will have to visit!
Gosh you make me CRY! Love you and miss you tons!!! Hope life settles in just perfectly for you!
Post a Comment