Sunday, May 1, 2011

Birthday weekend

One of my favorite (older) songs is, "Here Comes the Sun."  I probably have heard covers of it that I like better than the original (I know, shame shame I don't mind that someone else would sing the Beatles' songs) but that would be a great theme song for the weekend.  We had a bunch of rain last week.  And when it rains here, it's like... really rainy.  You can get soaked just racing between your front door & the car.  But after a few days of rain (which I actually like sometimes), it cleared up & has been such a beautiful weekend!!  Wow.  Hello Spring!  Hello May!  (Is it really already May already?!!!!)  Anyways, I turned 31 over the weekend & I'm officially into my 30's now.  I was just telling a friend how it's not like I can reach over my shoulder and still touch my 20's... I'm all the way in.  ;)  We had a really low key day at home (kids & I while Ken was over on the coast for work - we even caught some of the highlights of the royal wedding), then when Ken got back, we had dinner out as a fam, and probably one of the best parts?... everyone going to bed early.  We were all drained & to catch up on needed sleep was a huge booster!  Honestly, for those who know what it's like to be sleep deprived - you know how great restorative rest feels! :)  We had a ton of fun at the park yesterday, and we went back to the church this morning that we visited last week.  They're starting a series on the family.  Can I just take a side step here and talk about that for a sec?...

I feel like there are times when God wants to drive a point home in our lives, and often He'll do so by repeating a certain message or point in various ways.  Before we made the move to Oregon, one of the things Ken & I talked about a lot and were hugely excited for, was the chance to redefine family life.  It's a goal of this new adventure, but to be honest, we hadn't really dug deep into what exactly that might mean in practice.  I think we just kinda hoped that by having a "normal" schedule, we'd be able to spend more time as a family & couple, and as a result, that would help steer us back towards the familial ideals we had in mind.  Obviously aware that there would be no ground made, without trusting the Lord to direct us as we prayed through that goal.  But, then Ken's birthday rolled around earlier in April, and one of the books he got was called, "Organized Simplicity."  The author talks about having a purpose statement for your family.  You know, a vision for what you want your family to be defined by in a sense.  It makes sense... I mean, if you want to run a marathon, there's prep involved with moving towards that goal.  Similarly, there's gotta be some prep on our part to ask the needed questions that can help us shape what our ultimate goals really are as a family and some ways we can make changes to help put those goals into practice so it actually happens over time.  We've talked about this a bit since reading that chapter in the book, and again were just talking about it on the way to church.  Then we get to church this morning, and come to find out the series for the next few months is on the "family adventure" and what does the pastor talk about?  Yep.  Having a mission statement or family purpose.  What are we about?   As he started talking and the sermon unfolded, I just had this quiet smile in my heart at the ways God lovingly helps drive points home, and the way He is providing answers to longings we've had before this move was made.  How timely though, that He'd have us start reading that book, and then within weeks, direct us to a church (at least for the time being??) where the very thing that's been on our hearts and minds as we start out this new adventure here, is being dissected and discussed almost like a Divine encouragement and road map for us.  I love that regardless of how I feel about the way God is at work - sometimes in more obvious ways like this, and sometimes more mysteriously - He is always working things out for our good.  One thing we've felt without question, is His hand and love stretched out as we've made this transition.  I don't say that to boast - I simply am overwhelmed with gratitude for what He is doing and How He is moving.  Thank you, Jesus

Birthday weekend at Stewart Park (the older two were playing on the play scape right in front of us but I wish I had called them over for a family photo op by a nice passerby..;)

Logan is now 11 months old & can't wait to be big & play like his big bro & sister!
Jack loves this park - and I think I'm just now realizing that he's wearing the same coat in almost all the pics lately.  hahah. 
They were all excited to have Logan attempting to join them on the play scape
Mags having fun & sportin' her new t-shirt from Grandma Sue's recent trip to Mexico.

2 comments:

Amy Hook said...

Love the new pictures - and the fact that you had a restful, sunny, family weekend! And I also love that you've enjoyed Organized Simplicity ;). So good!

Love you, dear friends!

Anonymous said...

happy birthday to you katie! i'm glad you were able to have a relaxing weekend with your little fam.:) love you and wish we could have been there to celebrate with you!