Friday, June 17, 2011

Celebrating these Dads!

Coming into Father's Day weekend (yes, it is Dad's day on Sunday for those who may not realize it's sneakin' up on us fast)...I just wanted to take a minute here to sing praises over Ken and my own Dad, too.  They sure have been more influential in my life than any other men - and I am so thankful for them both. 

It feels like Ken & I have been through a lot for how short we've been married (just 7.5 years), and through these years, I've seen God move in-and-through him in ways that are beautiful.  Real.  Sometimes in painful ways, but at a deep heart level that really kinda strips all else away and leaves one exposed to the greatness and goodness of God that otherwise might have been missed when the weeds of life choke.  I suppose, too, that in the process, it authenticates our faith and drives us to ask the hard questions.  And by the grace of God, He's paired me for life with an amazing man who continually wants to be on this faith journey together and seek Him who can prune and change us.   To watch the way he adores and loves our kids, ... gosh, there just aren't words for that kind of gratitude I have that our children are doted on and cherished by a man who can point to Him, and yet they'll grow up seeing a humility and transparency that doesn't pretend to have it all together and can graciously apologize when he's wrong and hug and teach them how to do the same as we pray God will continue to grow us in Him.  He challenges them to dream big and take risks and adventures.  When he comes home at the end of the day, the volume in our house turns up big time.  It's 'cause he's chasing the kids and laughing and wrestling around with them...  they love it, he loves it, I love it too. :)  I don't think a day goes by when he doesn't tell me, "Man, I am so in love with our kids!"  He's giving Jack & Logan an outstanding example of what it means to be a great Dad, and husband, too.  And he's showing Maggie qualities to look for and pray for in a husband.  I hope Jack, Maggie & Logan know they are loved by him in the best ways a Dad can love his kids.  Ken, my life is abundantly better and so blessed with you - love you!

And to my own dear Dad...  you showed me what it means to have a tireless work ethic that doesn't stop til the job is done right, and well.  You showed me - and constantly still show me through the way you live life - that being generous isn't an occasional thing to try and do when you can swing it or have time, but it's rather a way of life.   You taught me not to sweat the small stuff and I honestly can't thank you enough for that as life seems to have increasing stress as the years go on.  You inspire me that you overcame obstacles to make your own dreams come true and sacrificed so much for the sake of our family -- so that us kids could have opportunities you never did as a kid.  I love how you love our kids and the sweet way you are their "Papa." That you call to talk to them, think of them, miss them, skype with them, make Saturday breakfasts a ritual with them when we lived in town...   my heart is welled and so thankful for you, Dad.  I love you to pieces!

No comments: