Friday, February 24, 2012

Read Aloud

Anyone have some fun read-aloud books that would be appropriate for Jack & Maggie's age?  I'd like to start doing some of that before bed; not that they don't love reading picture stories, of course they do!  Just thinking it would be fun to start  doing a little crossing over since they're getting a little older now too.  Jack is 6, Maggie is almost 4.5.  My read-aloud memories start around 4th grade... Boxcar Children, The TriPod Trilogy, Nancy Drew... haha... surely there are some books geared for the younger crowd!  I just don't remember.  And, maybe I am jumping the gun here, maybe read aloud stories are better suited for an older audience??  Book recommendations anyone? ;)

6 comments:

Rachel S said...

Katie,
I don't have any specific recommendations but know that it is never too early to read aloud! I, too, have really fond memories of my parents reading aloud to us and the great family time that activity created. Opened up so many opportunities for conversation and questions. Anyway, I do know of a couple resources you might find at the library or just order from Amazon that will send you in the right direction. HONEY FOR A CHILD'S HEART by Gladys Hunt has book lists that include a Christian perspective and THE READ-ALOUD HANDBOOK by Jim Trelease is supposed to be the best resource out there. These are on my radar now but our new one is several years from needing these titles yet. We will start small and work our way up! Best of luck and enjoy the memory making with your own family!

The Boggs Family said...

Thanks so much for the great heads up, Rachel - I'll check that out for sure! :) Thank you for taking the time to comment...

Sarah W said...

Hi Katie! Thank you for the comments on my blog! You always are so encouraging and reading your comments brightens my day. I finally did catch up with my blog... pretty much :-) And I quit my job this week, so hopefully I stay caught up! I really want to read aloud to my children too... though they just want to books about sharks and dolphins. I remember my second grade teacher reading us Charlotte's web. Every day we'd read a little bit, and I loved it. Please post if you find any books that your kids love. Lots of love to you!! Sarah

Zona Wilson said...

Hi! I've been thinking that your little growing family would enjoy The Adventures of Frog and Toad, and The Wind in the Willows, and maybe even be ready for the Chronicles of Narnia soon! I hope that you have found some fun books to share together. I wish that mine were out and available - I would love to share with you the ones I have saved to read with my grandchildren. On the other hand, I would welcome an excuse to dive into the boxes if you like!

The Boggs Family said...

Awesome Zona, thanks so much for your comment & the great read aloud ideas! You are too sweet to offer to start going through boxes - don't go to the trouble (just yet) at least. ;) I have a handful I'm going to start with the kids & we'll see how they do... (attention spans & interest, ect.) Hope you are doing well!! Thanks again!

Keith and Meghan said...

http://sarahjanestudios.com/blog/2010/02/chapter-books-for-the-younger-kids/

I just found this on pinterest and remember you saying you wanted some more ideas for good read alouds. :)