Friday, February 10, 2012

T&A for Mags

For those of you who take T&A to mean, well, something entirely colloquially different... rest assured I mean it in the medical sense.  Mags had a tonsillectomy-adenoidectomy this week.  2 weeks ago at a routine well check visit to our pediatrician down here (whom we absolutely love & think is an amazing kids doc!), she mentioned how overly large Mags' tonsils are.  They ran some other tests hoping it would explain it (ya know, maybe an asymptomatic viral bug - or strep without pain?) - all came back negative.  Of course the labs did, she's totally "herself" and happy, dancing, snoring, well-rested & active 4 year old.  She sent us to a ENT specialist who confirmed those large tonsils & adenoid needed to come out.  The ENT doc said you can actually look at a kid & often tell who struggles with these issues... something about the facial structure & way they breathe.  I guess I never paid extra close attention to how she breathes - or, how abnormal she breathes.  Doc said when she sleeps, it's like trying to breathe through a straw with how limited her airways were; that also explains why she also sounds nasally or congested much of the time when she's just standing next to you breathing normal.  So, out they came & she did great.  Recovery has been going well... obviously very sore & a bit rough the first few days, but definitely on the mend! :)  I hear it's much better to get these out when you're little than an adult because recovery goes so much faster.

On a separate issue; the day before her surgery (so, this Monday), her pediatrician went over some CT scan results with us that reveal she has a few cysts in her brain.  One of which, is actually pretty sizable.  5.5 cm in the right front lobe.  We've been referred to a pediatric neurosurgeon/specialist up in Portland & are waiting to be scheduled for that appointment to have these checked into.  The issue of concern - even though the cysts are asymptomatic right now - is that it's large enough to be affecting proper bone development/structure among some other rare & lesser likely things.   Admittedly, I had some anxiety over this news...  not only did it catch us completely by surprise, but I didn't want Maggie to see me worried about her when we were trying to stay positive about how great she'd do with her T&A surgery the next morning.  I was reminded of a great verse in Isaiah 26:3, "You will keep in perfect peace all who trust in you, whose thoughts are fixed on you."  And honestly, I have had total peace about it... all we're doing at this point, is waiting to find out more information & we'll take it from there.  There's a good chance she won't have to have anything done; that they'll leave it alone & just say we'll keep a close watch on it.  And, even if they say she does need to have brain surgery, God knows all this & I'm going to keep praying to trust Him and His love for Maggie. 

On a bright note; the little dancing queen is starting to pull out her crazy moves & is back at fighting with her brothers, so I take it as a great sign she's healing & feeling better. :)

No comments: