Goodness, a few weeks have now passed and as usual, am a little behind on posting. ;) We had an awesome opportunity earlier this month to host two of the kids from the children's world choir that travels around singing at various venues across the country, raising awareness of poor water conditions and orphans. It's an organization called, "World Help," and to be honest, I had no idea who they were or what they did. The kids are *mostly orphans (or from such impoverished pasts that a parent had to ask an orphanage to care for them) - but then are cared for and loved on by the orphanage & a choir 'team' of kids from the Philippines, Nepal, and Uganda are chosen to travel around the states for 11 months. There are tutors and they learn English, and the incredible couple who head this organization up - Steve & Nikki Hart - are "Auntie" and "Uncle" to all these kids. The kids ADORE them! They learn about the Gospel, have a blast together as one, big family touring on a bus together. Almost celebrity-style, but fully down to earth. We were asked if we'd host any of the children and we jumped at the opportunity - two, darling little girls stayed with us, Praise & Mikaela. Praise is from Uganda, Mikaela from the Philippines. The kids' energy and love for Jesus is infectious! They are such a joy to be around and it was hugely impacting for our whole family, and especially for our kids. Jack and Maggie had a hay day preparing for our guests and had so much fun playing with them, sharing their bikes, teaching them how to play with certain toys, singing together, dancing up a storm in the kitchen (Teaching us the moves to Gangnum Style I think they must have picked up watching Psy's video on repeat on an international flight), and trying all kinds of 'new' foods. The following night, the choir performed at our local church and straight rocked the house. Wow!... the boys on the drums, all the kids dressed in their native costumes, their energetic dancing, smiles that go on for miles, and volume was awesome! Our kids loved it too - though I think some of the video footage they share to educate about the poor water conditions and raise support to help, were really eye opening. I think it made a huge impression on Jack. The day the girls left, he was telling me, "Mom, I want to change the world." (Ok, Buddy, that's great - how are you going to do that?) "I want to find a family for all the orphans. And I want to tell them about Jesus." Bust open my mama heart! Truly, it's these little golden nuggets that come along - maybe once in 7 years ;) - and remind me that God is at work in our kids' lives; that faith-lived out, isn't just for grown ups... but can, and often does start, when kids are little. And I think what's so humbling, is that when you're young, you really do feel like you can change the world. We loved the time with these girls and have missed them much, since. I think too, it ignites our desire to still adopt - even though we've felt like the timing hasn't been right. That's part of what we're hoping for in finding a house; then we can start the home study process. We've been talking about adoption for the past year and both feel mega stirred and excited for it. Hoping that happens in the next few years. ;) Anyways, I'm moving around on topics here - welcome to the mind of a female, right? ;) (sorry if that offends any of you ladies out there who are able to think very systematically, staying in one box without your other thoughts touching.) ;) I don't have that ability. ;) Love & hugs to you guys out there!
| The kids together at the concert - Praise is next to Jack, Mikaela is next to Maggie |
| Loved having these girls and getting to know them! Sounds cheesy, but they'll always be in our hearts - I wish we could see them again. Maybe. Some day. ;) |
1 comment:
Loved catching up here! MISS you guys!!!
Post a Comment