When we found out we were pregnant with Jack, we were encouraged by many to make sure we read to our kids often. It wasn't until this past year or so, that we really started trying to incorporate that more into our day-to-day routine with Jack (and Maggie now too). At first, it felt more like a chore to make a point of that. I'm sure some of you are cringing reading this wondering how I could be so selfish to say that! (And some of you, may agree with me.. hahah) But I want to say that it has really become such a fun part of our day. We try to read to Jack several times a day and we'll usually sit down and go through as many as he'll stay interested for. (Could be five, could be twenty books or more!) It has been such a joy to watch this love for reading develop and see which books he gravitates towards. He now has several faves that he loves to bring over to us, and Ken & I can now recite many of those by heart - you know, a skill that really bodes well on a resume! ;) One book that Jack loves (and me too for the fun inflections you can do with tones in this one) is called, "Yo, Yes!" I caught him pretending to read this particular book on video tonight while I was trying to snap some photos of the kids and you can actually hear him sounding out some of the story. Ken is going to freak out when he sees this and be so proud of him!! :) This was mega exciting for me to see happen because he isn't "talking" much yet. And he's 25 months old. Yet we know he's tracking and the wheels are turnin'. So, the Mom in me wants to share this because it was an added blessing for me to see this tonight after a long and frustrating day. It was as if God showed me this as an encouragement...
Monday, February 4, 2008
Reading Time
When we found out we were pregnant with Jack, we were encouraged by many to make sure we read to our kids often. It wasn't until this past year or so, that we really started trying to incorporate that more into our day-to-day routine with Jack (and Maggie now too). At first, it felt more like a chore to make a point of that. I'm sure some of you are cringing reading this wondering how I could be so selfish to say that! (And some of you, may agree with me.. hahah) But I want to say that it has really become such a fun part of our day. We try to read to Jack several times a day and we'll usually sit down and go through as many as he'll stay interested for. (Could be five, could be twenty books or more!) It has been such a joy to watch this love for reading develop and see which books he gravitates towards. He now has several faves that he loves to bring over to us, and Ken & I can now recite many of those by heart - you know, a skill that really bodes well on a resume! ;) One book that Jack loves (and me too for the fun inflections you can do with tones in this one) is called, "Yo, Yes!" I caught him pretending to read this particular book on video tonight while I was trying to snap some photos of the kids and you can actually hear him sounding out some of the story. Ken is going to freak out when he sees this and be so proud of him!! :) This was mega exciting for me to see happen because he isn't "talking" much yet. And he's 25 months old. Yet we know he's tracking and the wheels are turnin'. So, the Mom in me wants to share this because it was an added blessing for me to see this tonight after a long and frustrating day. It was as if God showed me this as an encouragement...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Hi Katie!
It's Aunt Carla...and that video was too cute! I just wanted to tell you that Uncle Bill can still recite every word from memory...from a favorite Alphabet book he read to Reed & Leah 18+ years ago! His favorite book to read to the kids was called "The Giant Jam Sandwich"...some old book we got at a thrift shop! Keep reading and loving those two little ones!
I loved that video. . . little ones reading are my all time favorite videos and pictures. Keep reading reading reading it is such a wonderful cuddly fun time together.
Thanks for sharing!
Darcy
That is so great that he is "reading" his favorite books now!
You have such a beautiful family.
Stacy
what a smart little dude you have! this post has encouraged me to make reading more of a priority around here. we read a story before bed, but i want to incorporate it more into our days too. thanks for sharing your life with us! and thanks for all the sweet comments you leave - you are such an encourager!
Post a Comment