Monday, October 20, 2008

Phantom of the Opera




Group shot: me, Ken, Jim, Wendy, Sara, & Pete (Holly wasn't there quite yet)


The 4 Gals: Wendy, me, Holly, Sara (mom-in-law & both my sister-in-laws) :)


He sure cleans up well, eh?! ;)

This past Saturday marked a memorable night for me, I saw Phantom of the Opera for the first time! WOW, it was spectacular. Masterful. AMAZING! Ken's parents went overboard and bought the adults in the family tickets to go to this together, months and months ago... and all that time, I mentally prepped with excitement for the night of Oct. 18th, show night! :) Ken & I got to get all dressed up (well, dressed up for me is pretty much anything outside of my "mom" clothes which generally can fall into the category of comfy - but almost showcasing an attitude of having thrown in the towel on fashion. That is, unless someone out there calls sweats, classy. ;) ) Anyhow, it was so much fun for both Ken & I to get dressed up for such a fun date. Having never seen this before, I actually didn't even know what to expect nor was I familiar with the story line. (I probably was born under a rock!) ;) To be honest, I left the show just awe-struck at the power of their voices and the incredible set/production of it all... yet didn't really think the storyline seemed realistic. No way would a woman who's terrified of this creepy, underground-dwelling, borderline-psycho, ever actually passionately kiss that same person?! That didn't fly in my book. ;) But then Ken & I talked about the story of it on the way home and all the next day, and there is such depth to the characters, such a battle of emotional turmoil and pride --- and a beautiful unfolding of love in its most courageously selfless state, melting the most calloused of hearts. That theme, reminded me - and is still reminding me - of God's love for us.

1 comment:

Keith and Meghan said...

Oh my goodness! You should be a play critic or something this was such an awesome description of the play, I totally want to go out and see it now!