Maggie in her warm, new winter coat from Grandma Sue
Jack outside in the snow - he was smiles galore on the sled, but of course I didn't get any pics of that -- maybe tomorrow
The expedition buried in the snow: digging this out was quite the project!
The house in a blanket of white, winter wonderland snow!
Ken knee-deep in the back. (And he's 6'5" tall) I'm sure there's at least 2 feet out there.
There is a great description of snow days in Chapter 1 of the Shack. It reads, "There is something joyful about storms that interrupt routine. Snow or freezing rain suddenly releases you from expectations, performance demands, and the tyranny of appointments and schedules. And unlike illness, it is largely a hear of unified sigh rise from the nearby city and surrounding countryside where Nature has intervened to give respite to the weary humans slogging it out within her purview. All those affected this way are united by a mutual excuse, and the heart is suddenly and unexpectedly a little giddy. There will be no apologies needed for not showing up to some commitment or other. Everyone understands and shares in this singular justification, and the sudden alleviation of the pressure to produce makes the heart merry." We thought that snippet so fitting on a day like today, where most of us are hunkered down in our cozy homes, taking in the beauty of the 2 feet of snow blanketing us outside while we enjoy time with our families. And, let's face it, it does kinda make ya feel slightly adventurous to go out and brave it -- even if that just means walking around in your yard in knee-deep snow! :) We have amazing neighbors, who are just gems year-round, but today especially they deserve extra praise. They must have spent 7 or 8 hours outside today, helping dig out our neighborhood with their sweet new (big) snow thrower. (I've been informed that's the official name) It's still work to push that heavy thing into a wall of snow, but I tell ya what, it beats shoveling by hand ANY DAY and got the job done fifty times faster! :) Here it is 8pm and we are finally dug out. Doesn't mean we can get anywhere. Already tried with the big rig and the studded snow tires just spin. Great. haha. Maybe tomorrow I can find some chains to put on that 2WD puppy. I have some pics from today to share. We sure had fun taking the kids outside & they loved it. We can't find their snow gear (they are buried in boxes somewhere - either at my parents or Ken's parents'), but we got by today. Never mind that we used socks for mittens on Maggie's little hands and plastic walmart bags around Jack's ankles as make-shift gators over his running pants. It worked for now. ;) It's nearing bed time for Jack so I'll say goodnight for now. All our love and warm hugs coming your way! :)
4 comments:
Katie! I love that you quoted that particular passage from The Shack. It's one of my favorite descriptions in a book... ever. Great pictures too! Enjoy your wintry weather and your beautiful kids! Love you!
I loved the words from The Shack! I think it was a perfect description for all this snow!!!!
The kiddos are so beautiful! Thanks for sharing!
Hey...cute pics of your kids in the snow! Hard to believe how cold you are, while my knee caps are even sweating:)
I'm reading the Shack right now...GREAT quote for our current situation! Jack and Mags are cute as ever, any more planned in the future, you guy make darn cute little people!
Post a Comment