Tuesday, May 24, 2011

The weekend "home"

We had the chance to take a short trip "home" (to Spokane) over the weekend.  It felt waaaaaaay too short & fast, but was full & such a blessing to get to see dear friends & family.  And the night before we left, we had the fun surprise of my dear Aunt & Uncle and recent USC graduate cousin, Reed, stop by on their way home from his graduation.  They have been given an extra portion of that gift to ignite laughter and play in kids!  It was tons of fun to have them & so cute to watch them with the kids. 

The kids were amazing on the long drives to and from here.  That really could make or break traveling.  Believe me, I was gearin' up for a long drive with record stops to regain my sanity & let everyone have fresh air and potty breaks.  But the drive went by quickly (as quickly as 10 hours can go) ;) and I could have traveled with adults and not had as easy of a trip.  I'm so proud of the kids for doing such a great job!  Watch, next time we travel, it could be polar opposite. ;) 

Being home was a refreshing reminder of the incredible friends and family we have.  You guys went out of your way to make time to see us and it is humbling to have such thoughtful family & friends invest in our lives.  We miss & love you all like crazy!!  The time home went too fast & I wish we could have stayed longer and catch up more. We pseudo celebrated Logan's (fast approaching) first birthday with family on both sides. (Though we'll do our own celebration for him down here on his actual birthday --- Friday, May 27th! Stay tuned for pics from that later.)  Hope you guys have a great week and Memorial weekend! :)

I'm not smart enough to figure out how to re-arrange the pics here, so here they are in somewhat disjointed order... hence all the captions.

Olivia, Belle, & Mags at the Manito park

our happy travelers -- man these guys really did a great job!!

The guys ;)  (Ken, Brad & Neal - oh, and Logan too)

Wendy "Nana" with Logan - almost 1!

Having lunch down in Pullman with Maggie's great Gommie (my dear grandmother, Jane)

Jack and Grandma Sue (my Mom)


Group shot of our time together at the park - all of our kids totally out numbered us!  It was so fun to see these dear friends--we sure miss you!!

All the kids/cousins playing in the yard at Nana & Grandpa's house (Ken's folks)

My Dad with the boys

Love these girls!  Julie (with sweet Emi) and Carly.  Julie & I have probably known each other for at least 20 years and she has to be one of the funniest, sympathetic & encouraging people to be around!  (grew up going to elementary school & on up together, and played volleyball when we were younger.  And I met Carly through Amy Hook a few years back and cannot tell you what an amazingly thoughtful & caring friend she is - she definitely has a servant heart like I want to have!  I wish we could get together on a whim right now.  You girls are amazing!

Logan opening his birthday gift from Nana & Grandpa - of course Mags is in on helping :)

Ken & the kids at a short stop to hike to the footbridge at Multinomah Falls (could become a tradition whenever we pass by this beautiful waterfall on the drive(s) from here on out)

Grandpa with Logiebeara

Ken watching Logan open his gift


Auntie Carla & Reed, reading to Mags during their visit here

Reed & Logan

Uncle Bill makes Jack's night by pretending to be a tractor scooping up a load and dumping into "Jack" the pretend dumptruck :)  Video footage of this is hysterical!


Papa Jon & Grandma Sue with the kids before we left bright n' early on Sunday morn - not bad for 6:30am, right? haha  I just crack up at Logan - stuffed to the brimsies after a big breakfast - ready for a nap.

We had such a blast getting to see the Montgomery's - Belinda & I go way back and they've been a part of our lives in huge, special ways.  Ken proposed to me at their home, and she's been there for the arrival of each of our kids and with such love and encouragement through the years.  I can't believe how much her sweet kids have grown:  Caleb is holding Jack, Isaac has Logan, she's holding Maggie and Meredith is on the right. 

She took this pic of the kids & I.  It's not too often when a pic gets snapped of me with all three kids -- thanks for this one, B.!

Mags & Meredith

For the past few years, it's been such a gift to meet for weekly java/play dates with Shannon, Tara & Kyrsi --- but really, it was simply life together and I loved the bond that grew between us.  These girls are dearly loved & missed and I feel like we've transparently walked through some genuinely tough times together and I truly admire their hearts and beauty in & out!  I didn't have my camera with me when we met during this last time home, but this was taken of us a few Summers back at Greenbluff when we went strawberry picking with all our kids.  The girls:  Robi, Shannon, Tara, Kyrsi & I. 


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

katie, i am SO glad that you got to come back for the weekend. we have missed you guys a ton and loved getting to visit while the kids played on saturday morning! you got some great pictures too! i can't believe how many kids there are between the six of us, ha! love you guys!