Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Catch Up: My 32nd Birthday, Mother's Day, and Bend







I feel a little behind on "administrative" tasks. You know, like this blog for instance. ;) ... And getting back to my Mom about Logan's birth info (weight/height) - bless her heart she's had to ask me at least 3x to email her with it for a baby book she's putting together, and I have a prayer journal that sits unfinished that I was supposed to start about 2 months ago for a study group I have been really enjoying with other moms in the area, not to mention just a mental stack of things I'd love to get to sooner than later. Sa la vie, right? ;) This past month has really gone fast. April 29th was my 32nd birthday.. it was a great weekend as a family! We spent Saturday at the beach, and Sunday in Eugene to trying out an incredible little dessert place called, The Sweet Life Patisserie. Gelatto, cheesecakes, cupcakes, pies, tarts, chocolate,... the list of possibilities was literally mouthwatering overwhelming! If you ever find yourself in Eugene, it is a double thumbs up spot to stop at. Fast forward a little bit and it was Mother's day; another wonderful weekend as a family. We drove to Loon Lake (yep, Oregon has one too) It was an abnormally hot day, 95 or something crazy, so we thought we'd take the kids swimming. Only, once we arrived there, we realized the public beach wasn't quite open yet for the season... no biggie, the drive was stunning & we took the kids to a river-side park to play instead. It was almost surreal taking in the aesthetic beauty that late afternoon. The way the sun hung and made all the blades of grass and lush green around glow, and the river was glistening... and these giant poplar trees were blowing, and it was like God showed me this treasured picture I hope I never forget; seeing my little family there at the park -- Ken & Jack both in matching cargo shorts & Jack of course in his favorite colored (red) polo walking between the poplars watching birds swoop into the river and robins landing just feet in front of them, and Logan & Maggie crouched down inches above the ground, investigating details of a lady bug they found... you know that verse where it talks about Mary storing up "all these things" in her heart?... I just love how that is a wonderful word picture of what happens in our lives as moms, being given glimpses of something supernatural in the everyday. I think that memory - there at the park on Mother's day - was the best gift. I am welled up just thinking about it & it's just a snippet in my mind, really. I want a heart, tho, that continues to be filled with things like this throughout the years. And might I just add too, that for someone who hadn't considered myself a very outdoorsy-person, I am finding I crave it & enjoy these adventures immensely. Can't help but wonder if it's an echo in my heart of somehow encountering God in nature in ways that must stir my soul? Switching gears real fast, last weekend we drove over to Bend to check it out - talk again about the gift of beauty to take in along the drive. Eesh. I think Oregon got an extra portion of natural beauty. ;) The McKenzie river area is amazing, then you start to climb the mountain pass and are literally driving past cooled lava fields and this big ol' cinder cone (Black Butte) is staring at you through the windshield, - a volcano! - and then these majestic snow-capped mountains against a high desert-scape. It has to be true, that we are without excuse, by simply seeing these magnificent displays and knowing God is real. Bend was a fun town to visit. They were having some big, annual event that's a relay where one team member skis down Mt. Bachelor, tags the next person who kayaks, then someone rides a bike, and the last person does the foot race part --- how fun would that be?! Anyone want to put a team together for next year? :) The town was packed with outdoor enthusiasts and an energy that was palpable. We had a fun picnic at Drake park (reminded us a ton of Manito park in Spokane) and then found another park with an awesome ship play scape the kids had a ball at. I should be tired from all our running around, but instead I think we're all just... excited and looking forward to Summer, too. Hope you are well! Thanks for checking our blog, especially if you've checked lately & every time been seeing that there was nothing new posted. :(



1 comment:

KI said...

Whew! I am tired just hearing of that travel review, hahaha! You rock mama! What joys you have had the past month!