Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Recap of day 1

Yesterday marked Ken's first day at his new job. To say it went seamlessly, would be a large exaggeration. BUT, to say it felt refreshing to be moving in this direction of change, felt right. I'm not used to being up quite that early to make breakfast for Ken and pack him a lunch, then start the breakfast routine all over for the kids when they wake up. I felt like I've had it easy the past 2 years! hah. And let's be honest, I'm not some saintly wife who will likely be making breakfast and packing lunches every day!... though I'd love to have the heart and energy to do it gladly regardless of how rough the night before was. ;) And, another point that will be good for me to work on, is having both kids with me for any errands we run. I took them both to Costco & then the grocery store. One meltdown, shoes flying, and oh wait, where's my grocery list--- Maggie ATE my list while I was manning Jack's tantrum. haha. Ahh yes, there is work to be done there. ;)

Ken said his first day was expectantly boring because it was TONS AND TONS of reading that everyone who works there has to go through initially. Manuals, protocol, safety procedures and the like given that he works in a lab with other people's blood and DNA. That's no biggie though, he knows he'll get to start the hands-on stuff this week! :) He'll get to work on some really cool tests and help develop some of their procedures -- which has him mega fired up. I am really excited he's so looking forward to this job and the challenge/change it brings. Me too. This is such a blessing for all of us, even with a few kinks to iron out on the home front. ;) As for the kids... They definitely missed their Daddy and while they were fairly easy and went along with our routine most of the day, it was harder for Jack not having Ken home. When Ken came through the door last night, both kids just beamed and were crawling all over him. But that short time with Dad between dinner & bed time routines, wasn't enough - and had Jack crying and all worked up for 2.5 hours! Finally at 10:40pm, he settled down enough to fall asleep after I laid there with him and helped him regain his breath from all that crying. Poor little guy...

Needless to say, it felt like a short night and a very early morning to start round II today. :) But, I am hopeful today will be a wonderful day & it's gorgeous outside. Looks like a perfect day for a walk to the park! :) Plus, we're getting together with Julie & the girls which is always fun - I am certain the new schedule will get easier and easier every day. Thanks for all of you who've prayed for us and this new job. You are treasured friends (and family) and we appreciate you more than you'll ever know...

1 comment:

Leif and Jami Gustafson said...

Such great pictures! It IS fun to look back through old photos and remember!