Friday, November 7, 2008

Expelled

Have any of you seen this movie yet? I think it's a fairly new release of Ben Stein's creativity. Let me preface all this by saying I am not "scientifically-minded." Well, it's not a strength for me, that's for sure! Those subjects never came easy in school, so my initial thoughts about watching a documentary about the battle in the scientific community over freedom in academics, particularly between evolution & Intelligent Design - didn't have me overly fired up. BUT, it is surprisingly a great movie. Ken & I both liked it, and recommend it. It's great food for thought. In fact, dare I say, watching that movie last night has Ken now so disturbed about what's happening in academia, that it has him questioning whether he wants to pursue a future in the Sciences! For those of you who may not have known, we are prayerfully pursuing grad school at the moment... with the ultimate hope for Ken to earn his PhD in Biochemistry or Cell Biology so he can teach at the collegiate level. BUT, Ken's personality is not one who would sit quietly and do well being told that he can only think a certain way and not explore alternatives, nor would he stand to teach only evolution without being able to discuss the Intelligent Design perspective. I wondered if maybe Ken is "called" to the Sciences because he is a Christian and it does mean entering the wolf den with a career in this field, but it is a niche in the Scientific community, that is desperate for more voices for the Kingdom!

2 comments:

Sarah W said...

I had wanted to see that movie. It looked really interesting, although I'm not sure if I'll be able to get Grant to sit through a documentary... I may have to watch that one alone. And I agree with your Christmas thoughts -- I didn't realize that it's only 7 weeks away until I read your blog. Geez... I always end up panicked the week before because I still have so much shopping to do! Love you friend!! Thanks for always being so encouraging!

Weber Family said...

We have been wanting to see this too-- only I have never been in the mood to watch a documentary on a Friday night! :) Now that I hear you saying it's good too, I think we will have to rent it this weekend!
Thanks Katie