Saturday, December 26, 2009

This Christmas was soooo much fun with the kids! They aren't old enough yet to really understand, but fully enjoyed the festivities and traditions -- and were just so darn cute to watch! We spent Christmas eve with much of my side of the fam, hosted over at my parents where Mom had the tables set beautifully, prepared this amazing meal for everyone (even down to incorporating Chinese heritage by having every one's name plate as a leesee (sp?) - a red Chinese envelope with gold symbols on the front, filled with lottery tickets for everyone), finished off with birthday cake for Jesus.
Later that evening, my uncle Bill (or was that Santa?) ;) carried on a tradition my grandfather used to do when we were all kids.... that being, dressed up in the heirloom Santa suit & brought presents for the kids. I couldn't stop cracking up at my uncle -- and the kids weren't scared at all, just fascinated & super excited. They went from watching carefully from between the upstairs railings (see first video below), to inches beside him not knowing they were supposed to remain hidden. :) Oh the innocence! :) We spent the night at my parents and did traditional Christmas morning fun with my parents after another beautiful meal my Mom made for us, and then did stockings/presents.
I was telling Ken, ya know, I don't know when exactly it happened in my life, but truly, I enjoy giving infinitely more than receiving, and can't explain what a total joy it was to watch everyone open gifts. If I could mentally pause that moment & save it forever, I would.... somewhere in the noise and the hustle & the tearing of wrapping paper & toddler-age squeals of delight -- there is simply JOY from just being with loved ones and knowing in our hearts that we celebrate the best gift of all with the birth of our Lord, Jesus! I know it must not sound like we spent much time reflecting on the most important meaning of Christmas when I talk about santa & stockings & fancy dinners, but I think it might look different for every family - even amid Christian families... that is, how we celebrate Jesus. I love that the kids do correlate Christmas with Jesus' birthday, and I love that there are fun family traditions we can still do, smothered with the love & laughter of family around. I am so blessed. Blessed Christ came into my life, blessed He has changed me and continues to do so, blessed by an amazing husband who loves the Lord with all his heart and it shows by the way he pours into me & our kids, blessed by wonderful children God's given us, blessed by family, blessed by friends, health..... I could go on and on. I'm overwhelmed with gratitude. Before I make this monster blog entry so long no one reads it (might have already hit that point!), let me just end with saying we spent Christmas day-eve with Ken's family and had an equally blessed time with more fun & great memories to remember this Christmas by. Without further delay, here are some Christmas videos & pics to share...

Watching for Santa


Bye Santa!


Love this! haha (first time making chocolate mousse, batch one is what you see here... got chucked after Jack had his fill of tasting it; consistency just never thickened enough but still tasted delicious!) :)


Aunt Peggy playing with Maggie on Christmas eve


Mom & Dad busy in the kitchen - yet they pull off hosting so seamlessly - wish I inherited that! haha. Nope.


Table one


Table two


Jack on Christmas eve


Mags in her new hat from Grandma & "girl power bat/ball" from Santa (Uncle Bill)


Christmas eve at Mom & Dad's


My dear Gommie & cousin, Reed (Gommie is "great" Gommie to Jack & Maggie)


Christmas morning


Ken - totally surprised!!!


Jack with his new firehouse from Grandma & Papa


Ken with his brother, Pete, and sister, Holly on Christmas day-eve


Christmas afternoon at Nana & Grandpa Boggs house (notice how many kids in the fam!!)


All conked out from the fun (ok, see, after that last post... had to show that he too can look like an angel sleeping) ;)

No comments: