Tuesday, March 23, 2010

New Flavors for Life :)



This post is one I've thought much about, questioned if I should even include this in the blog - and yet, it has such enormous impact on the way we are living. It has us super excited and motivated. We are reading through TONS of material on cancer. As we've learned more about how it actually attacks our system, it strangely becomes both more concerning (learning how it grows/spreads) yet also not nearly as scary as it was at the onset of diagnosis for Ken. And, some of you know too, that Ken's dear mama was diagnosed just a week ago with breast cancer. They are the only two in the fam with cancer, but for sure, it has been a catalyst for much change in our hearts through prayer and knowing we must trust and press in closer to God, and also do what we can as we learn, to make changes that we believe will have the most impact on our overall health.

I've been having a blast, make that, a BLAST, grocery shopping and cooking & trying new recipes for our fam this past week and a half. I think I may start sporting an apron pretty soon, as I noticed today that I had flour all over my prego belly as I was making bread. (come to think of it, will an apron even fit me right now?) haha! Cooking/baking like this feels really good, and even though making more from scratch requires time and effort in the kitchen, somehow, things feel incredibly simplified. I can only think that's from the Lord - and, ehem, it does make a difference when our kids are behaving at the table too to enjoy our meals together! ;)

I loved this quote from the book we're reading through right now called, "Anticancer: A New Way of Life," by Dr. David Servan-Schreiber. "Until we have brushed up against mortality, life seems boundless and we'd prefer to keep it that way...when we put off til tomorrow the quest for the essential, we may find life slipping through our fingers without ever having savored it. Cancer sometimes cures this strange nearsightedness, this dance of hesitations. By exposing life's brevity, a diagnosis of cancer can restore life's true flavor."

Some of my new trys this week included homemade pesto, among a dozen other recipes or more. (We used it with pasta & then also made a pesto pizza at home that may become a monthly mainstay for recipes!) I never knew I would be such a pesto fan. Anyways, fun times here in the kitchen & at the table. ;) (that didn't sound right, did it?) hahaha

1 comment:

carly said...

way to go katie! trying new recipes and cooking fresher/healthier always feels great! AND, i would love to try your pesto pizza!;)