Tuesday, February 1, 2011
The end of an era & start of something new...
Well, after over 9 years of bartending, it appears that chapter of life for Ken is coming to an end. He's worked with great people & the owners have been rather incredible. We love this little pub & there are certainly fun memories of Ken's time at the Elk (and Two Seven) Public Houses. BUT... obviously this implies change is on the horizon. We thought that was going to be grad school. God knew otherwise.
Ken signed the paperwork today, accepting a job offer with Eli Lilly in Roseburg, Oregon. We are super duper excited, though admittedly it is very bittersweet to be leaving our parents & family in town, along with dear & treasured friends & the wonderful community we have in Spokane. For the past several months, Ken has been working hard job hunting, trying to get into the pharmaceutical industry. Let me tell ya (for those who are wondering) - it is a process! hahah. And just like God, He has brought about something unexpected - but perfect for our family.
When I think about what we hope this year ahead brings, I constantly feel like the word RESToration comes to heart and mind. A year of rest in Him, a year of kind of reiging in the edges to redefine what we dream our family life to look like, time to make memories together as a family, time to invest in our marriage, to begin living differently in ways we have prayed about and been hoping to change... it is a year that I really pray and believe God will grow us in good ways, refreshing our spirits. Because admittedly, there have been some dark times of feeling rather broken this past year. Always having hope, but definitely some hard times.
So, this opportunity comes as a really fun adventure and answer to prayer - though it certainly wasn't what we were expecting. Roseburg has a population of about 20,000. Yep. It's utterly beautiful in the surrounding areas and the hiking/biking/camping/surfing/exploring/shopping/road-tripping/fun options are plentiful! It looks like we'll be making the move down there some time around the end of next month or early April. It feels like a whirlwind at the moment, but with a sincere & giddy excitement over the unknown. God is so good.
Here are some pics of the Roseburg area and some of the fun places we hope to take the kids exploring. (I'm not much of an outdoorsy person -- but I am truly looking forward to this & it probably goes without saying how stoked Ken is & the kids as well, to have some of these adventures!) :)
P.S. We are hoping to rent out our house, so if any of you know of anyone looking for a great place to live and think this would be a good fit, let me know. ;) I'm thinking it'll be available April 1st - possibly earlier, but that seems realistic. Did I mention it's a great place to live? :)
Love you all!!!!
Driving into the Umpqua Valley, headed for Roseburg
The Roseburg area (they have a ton of waterfall hikes right there too, isn't it a beautiful area?!!)
Crater Lake is less than an hour's drive.... I've never been there, but Ken said it's amazing & we can't wait to take the kids camping there this Summer! (and might I add too, that the Redwood national forest in northern CA is only about 3 hrs drive away?!)
We're about an hour's drive the coast too; right near Coos Bay. And yes, there is actually surfing just South of there in Oregon. I'm sure wetsuits are a must in this part of the Pacific! Ken can't wait. I'm a little more skeptical.. ;)
This is the coastline right there by Coos Bay...
When I start to get emotional about leaving, I just have this overwhelming peace that this is a gift from God, an exciting adventure, and part of the perfect plan He is working out for our family... we love you & will miss you all more than words can say. But I fully look forward to continuing the blog & staying in touch!!! Lots of love from us as we begin this new chapter of life...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






8 comments:
Oh! Oh Katie! Wow. I am so sad but so thrilled... what a feeling. You are loved, dear friend of mine, and I am both blessed by and anxiously anticipating the wonderful things God is continuing to do in you and your family.
My family is doing alright -- one of these days I will get an email update your way. It has been a ROUGH start to the year for us, and it's only gotten worse this last week. But I can say with full confidence and faith that our trials are worth it and I am THANKFUL for all of it. You are sweet to pray -- I am blessed.
Love you!
-a
Oh, beautiful friend! You already know how terribly bittersweet this is for me- I am so so excited to see what God has in store for you guys in Oregon and it is so obvious that this is His plan for you! But geesh, I am so sad too! So super bummed that we never really got to know each other until recently. I love you and really really hope that we are able to stay in touch! Our little family ventures down to Oregon at least once or twice a year, so I hope you don't mind visitors! :)
xo
Katie dear! Of course I am sad that you are going. But I'm so excited for what lies ahead for you in Oregon. Talk about an adventure! Who would've thought at this time last year?! You will be in our thoughts and prayers during this transition. Love you! And goodness gracious, those pictures make your new destination look fabulous!
Just like everyone...happy, sad, happy, sad, happy!!!!
I'm really, really excited to see what else God is going to do, Katie!!
Love you all...
Amy
WOW! What a huge change!! It's sweet reading how loved and how missed you'll be :-) What a sweet friend you are.
I'm so excited about this move for selfish reasons-- my parents vacation home in Florence, Oregon is just a short 2 hour drive to your new home! (I googled it) We're planning on taking a big vacation up there next year, and we will definately be making the drive to Roseburg now!!!
I'll be thinking about you even more these next few months!!
I bet you house will rent quickly - it's such a great house! You must be a sad to leave it - you all have done such a wonderful job making it a home.
Love you, Katie!!
oh my goodness. . . i have such mixed emotions! living by the ocean so amazing. . but we are going to miss you all so much! i ditto what Amy said. . happy. . sad. . happy . . sad! but mostly excited for your new adventure. . and i know you and you are loyal and faithful and you will keep in touch and come back and see us often!
love you guys!
let us know if we can watch the kids while you pack and get ready . . we would love it!
katie! i know you know how i feel about this! so sad, but so happy too.:) mostly, really excited for the new adventure your family is going to go on! love you guys SO much.
it sounds amazing where you live now....and how hard it surely must be to move from your family and friends....but the Lord is guiding you in that direction for sure....
God bless your new adventure!!
xo+blessings,
Anne Marie
Post a Comment