Sunday, July 31, 2011

Community

Disclaimer:  this is going to read more like a journal entry because it is more or less just some thoughts I've been mulling over lately. 

It's interesting, reflecting on life and times of trial and/or prosperity... sometimes seeing in hindsight the way God moved and how He revealed His faithfulness and nearness, too.  I mean, I know it in my mind - see it and hear it around me in friends as well - but I think there's something quite amazing about times of trial in the way God often uses community to love us tangibly and speak encouragement into our deflated sails. 

So many of us know the hardship of adversity -- being taking to the screaming edge where you feel like the straw that could break the camel's back might be something minor in the grand scheme of things.   And yet through those times of suffering, aren't we often given the biggest opportunity of all to draw nearer to God?  That's not saying that it makes the trial or loss or suffering any easier, I just mean that we are shown that the fragile pieces of our own brokenness will be beautifully rebuilt for His glory if we trust that He is working all things out for our good. 

I am so encouraged by the strength-in-Him that is evidenced in your beautiful hearts as you walk through hard times.  I've read it here and here and here and here and here to name just a few as I've been thinking about all this.   And I've heard it on the phone or in person when you share what's going on in life.  I get inspired when God gives us glimpses of His hand over the details of our lives.  And honestly, am encouraged when we can just be real with one another admitting when times are really hard and yet have that deep knowing that somehow, there is a redemptive story at hand.

It's no secret that this last year was a hard one for us.  But neither Ken nor I would change anything even if we could.  We both know God has used the hard trials to teach us and move in our hearts in ways that we needed to draw us closer to Him - to show us more of His faithfulness and love.  I'd hope that after going through times like that, we'd somehow emerge on the other side more spiritual or able to trust without ever doubting.  And yet honestly, we still struggle with trusting Him at times.  But God gently, lovingly, reminds me of ways He's worked in our lives and yours, and restores the hope that He is working all things out for good.  We have been so overwhelmed, and I mean flat-out baffled, by the generous outpourings of love and generosity through those challenging times.  It is incredibly humbling to be on the receiving end of that kind of love.  His son on the cross should be obvious enough of the ultimate gift of sacrificial love, and yet in my feeble mind of not being able to wrap my thoughts around that, God reaches out in tangible expressions of sacrificial love through community.  It comes in phone calls and texts from friends, in divinely-timed anonymous checks in the mail, from meals and treats people lovingly bring over, in watching our kids and sending cards of encouragement, hugs and shoulders to cry on... ahhh guys, the list is endless.  We don't deserve to have the amazing friends and family we do.  Experiencing God's love through community is arguably one of the most moving ways He captures my attention and heart.

Without even specifically knowing how badly we needed this in our souls, I feel like God has been answering prayers of helping us find community here.  We've met some really fun, great people this weekend!  For almost four months, we've just kinda flown under the radar, and suddenly God has brought people into our lives that we're connecting with here. Once again, I'm humbled by the way God ministers to us through people and has reminded me -- almost with an exclamation point- of how important & *what a blessing* being in community is.

1 comment:

KI said...

Love reading your heart sister. So resonates with mine. :)